Filament strapping tape is a pressure-sensitive heavy-duty tape. Most filament tapes contain thousands of filaments woven and embedded into the adhesives backing. They are also fiberglass reinforced, which makes them extremely strong and durable.
Filament strapping tapes are known for their clean removal and are more robust than most glues and twines, making them the perfect shipping tape.
What is Filament Strapping Tape Used For
Filament strapping tapes are versatile and are used in various industries, including:
- Food and beverage
- General manufacturing
Most industries use filament strapping tapes for packaging due to their high bundling strength. It also has excellent reinforcing applications.
Filament strapping tapes come in various strengths to meet various packaging weights. Tape Jungle strength options include:
- Light Duty: Tensile strength is 97 pounds per inch.
- Heavy Duty: Tensile strength is 148.5 pounds per inch.
Filament tape can seal corrugated boxes for shipment and is an excellent box repair tape.
Appliance Doors for Transit
Tensilized polypropylene appliance tape has a rubber adhesive system that is excellent at securing appliances. For example, it can be used to hold refrigerator doors shut while in transit.
The automotive industry has various uses for high tensile polypropylene tapes. These uses include:
- Wheel covers
Differences Between the Filament and Polypropylene Strapping Tapes
Both filament and polypropylene strapping tapes are excellent options for packaging and shipping. However, they do have a few differences that are important when selecting a tape for your business. These differences include:
- Price: the light-duty and heavy-duty filament tapes are less expensive than the tensilized polypropylene appliance tape. It’s crucial you know the maximum weight of the objects you’re planning to tape. You don’t want to waste money on heavy-duty tape if the maximum weight you’re shipping is just 50 pounds.
- Application: Polypropylene strapping tapes maintain their strength when they’re stretched and won’t snap. The filaments in filament strapping tape prevent the tape from stretching.
- Eco-friendly: Polypropylene strapping tape is made with a recyclable plastic. Filament strapping tapes are not recyclable. If staying green is important to your business, then you should consider polypropylene tape over filament tape.
Best Tools to Apply Filament Strapping Tape
Filament strapping tape is almost impossible to tear by hand. To apply the tape, you will need to cut it.
A filament strapping tape dispenser is the easiest and fastest method for applying filament strapping tape. Tape Jungle has a one-inch filament strapping tape dispenser from Excel available for purchase.
You have the option of buying individual dispensers or in bulk. This tape dispenser is compatible with one-inch tapes with a three-inch core. The maximum tape diameter cannot surpass five and a half inches.
Types of Filament Strapping Tape
Tensilized Polypropylene Appliance Tape
This high-performance tape comes in two colors, ivory and blue, and has seven width options. It utilizes a rubber-based adhesive. Features of this tape include:
- Adhesive transfer resistant
- Chemical resistant
Possible uses and applications for this tape are:
- Securing appliances during transport
- Securing and bundling office equipment and furniture
- Use with compatible L-Clip equipment
Bi-Directional Filament Tape
This bi-directional filament tape has reinforced fibers in cross directions that make it extremely strong. Purchasing options include four width sizes, two lengths, and three pack sizes. Product features for this tape include:
- Extreme flexibility allowing it to conform to any surface
- Good tensile strength
- High quick grab
- Can secure and strengthen heavy packages.
Uni-directional Filament Tape
This tape is reinforced with fiberglass and has a rubber-based adhesive. It is sold in four grades and nine size options with various tensile strengths.
The four grades include:
- Economy: A strapping tape that is commodity grade with a 92-pound tensile strength, 69 ounces per inch adhesion, and four percent elongation.
- General Purpose: A bundling, palletizing, and strapping tape with a 130-pound tensile strength, 91 ounces per inch adhesion, and six percent elongation.
- Industrial: A bundling, palletizing, and strapping tape with 91 ounces per inch adhesion and seven percent elongation.
- Heavy: A bundling, palletizing, and strapping tape with 40 ounces per inch adhesion and four and a half percent elongation.
Tensilized Polypropylene Tape – Light Duty
For lighter bundling tasks, check out this tape. It has a rubber-based adhesive that acts like a rubber band. It comes in four color options and seven sizes.
Potential applications for this tape are:
- Floor marking
- Color identification needs
- Light demand applications
- Initiating corrugated containers
- Palletizing and bundling
Tensilized Polypropylene Tape – Heavy Duty
For heavy-duty bundling that needs to be color-coded, you’ll need a more robust but highly elastic tape. The thickness of this tape allows it to provide a tight hold of heavier bundles. Additionally, it is waterproof, has a high track, and has high tensile strength.
High Tensile Polypropylene Strapping Tape
High tensile polypropylene strapping tape is an excellent strapping tape made with high tensile strength polypropylene. It is perfect for securing pallets and heavy goods.
The synthetic rubber allows for a low elongation which provides superior strength.
Filament Strapping Tape From Tape Jungle
Tape Jungle has a variety of filament tapes available from high-quality brands. Contact our customer service team today to learn more about our products and how we can help you. Our knowledgeable and friendly staff can answer all of your questions and provide you with guidance.